[xep-support] XEP - resolving links/cross-references when generating PDFs?

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Thu Jul 31 05:39:07 PDT 2003

At 2003-07-31 11:40 +0200, Martin Post wrote:
>Just a quick question regarding your XEP product(s) - I'll probably have
>more questions soon:
>
>Is the processor/renderer able to resolve cross-references (hyperlinks)
>when rendering PDFs? I.e., ca a generic link be transformed into
>something like "For more information, see page XX")?

Absolutely.  BTW, XSL-FO distinguishes a hyperlink from a page number
citation ... and XEP supports both.  A hyperlink in a document allows the
user agent software to navigate to another location in the final result,
while a page number citation allows the reader of the document to manually
navigate to another location in the final result.

You say "hyperlink" yet your example is a "page number citation".

If you have the time to go to the book sales section of our web site noted
below and download the free 200-page excerpts of our electronic PDF books
that we sell on XSL-FO and XSLT, you will see *extensive* use of hyperlinks
and page number citations.  Especially in the XSL-FO book.  Property and
object names that are hyperlinked to their respective definitions and page
number citations (that also happen to be simultaneously linked to their
target) are used throughout.

We use XEP to produce the electronic PDF books that we sell.

Note, though, that in my publishing process the hyperlinks are lost in the
"2-up" presentation ... download the "1-up" presentations of the books in
order to have the hyperlinks engaged.  This is not a problem with XEP but
what my publishing environment does to the PDF files created by XEP.

There is *no* obligation to buy the books ... we try to make the download
excerpts useful references in their own right and hope that people will
feel free to use them as such.  With 248 different properties, the
hyperlinked annex on property definitions is very useful.

I hope this helps.

.................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:                     XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info