[xep-support] keep-with-next for fo:wrapper?

Jeff Beal jbbeal at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 20:11:43 PDT 2003

> We use this system for both HTML and FO generation, combined with a
> template model driven by the Perl-based Petal module, and have found
> it to be much preferable to teaching our designers how to code in
> XSLT.  It's not uncommon for an element to have an id that needs to be
> linked to in the TOC or Index, but to have no mapping, or to have a
> mapping that contains several HTML or FO elements.  For example, a
> Function element has no mapping (its child elements have all the
> content), but the Function needs to be linked to and indexed.

I certainly don't fully understand your system and requirements, but it
seems to me that the best solution would be to have the Function element
generate an fo:block element *around* its children.  You could then put
a keep-together.within-column="always" property and the ID on that
fo:block.  As long as you don't put any extra space-before or
space-after properties on the block created by the Function, that block
shouldn't create any extra space.

Jeff Beal