[xep-support] multi-column page

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Tue Jul 8 07:27:37 PDT 2003

At 2003-07-08 15:26 +0200, Jack Broeren wrote:
>I have a long list of names that is rendered in three columns.
>All goes well..., very nice. The last page however only had enough data
>left to fill the first column. Is it possible to distribute the remaining
>data
>over three columns in a way that they are about the same size.

Yes, include an empty spanned block at the end of your flow.  The formatter
will try to balance all of your columns on top of this empty block.  Modulo
keeps, breaks, widows, orphans, etc.

You may actually already have an empty block at the end of your flow used
for last page number citation ... if so, just add span="all" to that block.

I hope this helps.

......................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:    http://XMLGuild.info