[xep-support] Page breaks in tables with row spans

Jeff Beal jeff.beal at ansys.com
Fri Jan 24 08:51:51 PST 2003

The fact that the table header comes after the remainder of a cell split
across pages is a known limitation of XEP.  (see
http://www.renderx.com/Tests/doc/html/spec.html#d1e3328)  The documented
workaround is to prevent page breaks from occuring within table cells by
placing keep-together.within-column="always" on all table cells.  However,
this doesn't work in the case of cells spanning multiple rows, because XEP
is still able to keep all of the *content* of the cell together.  I have
been able to achieve desired results in a test case by placing
keep-with-next.within-column="always" on all rows in the span except for the
last.

Jeff Beal