[xep-support] fo:markers/fo:flow

Els van Trigt evtrigt at ambrac.nl
Thu Jan 23 03:24:25 PST 2003

Hello,

For running headers I've been using markers similar to the example below:

 <xsl:template match="chapter/title">
    <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="head1"
     break-before="page">
      <fo:marker marker-class-name="sect-head" >
        <fo:block><xsl:value-of select="."/>
	  </fo:block>
      </fo:marker>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </fo:block>
 </xsl:template>

(from: http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/bk/ch12.html#d0e5483, Example
11.8. Marker usage)

This worked fine in 2.78 versions of XEP. However, with the newer 3.xx
versions, I get errors reporting that the fo:marker has to be an initial
child of fo:flow. If this is true, it will be rather cumbersome to revise
the applicable stylesheets, so I would like to know why this is implemented
this way and if it is correct according to the standard.
When I look at the Spec, (6.11.3 fo:marker)it says that the "fo:marker has
to be an initial child of its parent formatting object." Unfortunately the
spec does not include a DTD to see where fo:marker is allowed.
RenderX, however, offers a DTD on their website which I looked at
(http://www.renderx.com/Tests/validator/fo.dtd.html#blocks)
According to this DTD <fo:marker> is included in the entity %wrappers;,
which is one of the options within the entity "%blocks;" that come directly
within fo:flow. The content of "%blocks;" is repeatable and thus I should be
able to use a block first within fo:flow and then an fo:marker element or am
I wrong?

Please advice - thanx

Els van Trigt

Ambrac Information Management