[xep-support] Using a symbol glyph as a bullet

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Thu Jan 23 01:01:44 PST 2003

Hi Kevin,

> <fo:inline font-family="ZapfDingbats">&#x006F;</fo:inline>
>
> In theory, this should output the 'o' character of the Zapf Dingbats font
> which is a right-bottom-dropshadowed white box.

It is Unicode U+2751.

> In the PDF output generated by XEP 3.1, however, the character
> does not appear.

Yes, because ZapfDingbats does not contain any glyph for U+006F.

There is a sample document, examples/charsets/zapf-dingbats.fo, that
shows all available codepoints for ZapfDingbats. Please format
it with XEP and look at the resulting PDF: things should become
clearer.

For a discussion of codepoint assignment to dingbat glyphs,
see http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/type/zapfdingbats.txt
(mentioned in XEP documentation, BTW) and the Unicode site:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

> I am unable to use the TrueType version of the font, as according
> to XEP it does not contain a Unicode translation table.

Yes, it may happen that a TrueType fonts lacks 'cmap' table for Unicode.
This is often the case for old fonts (used in 16-bit Windows).

> Using the Windows Character Map tool, I have confirmed that the glyph
> I want is Unicode 0x006F in the font.

The glyph is Unicode U+006F in a TrueType font with no Unicode
CMap :-). You'd better not trust this info too much.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev