[xep-support] XEP Performance Questions

Jarrod Stenberg slonob at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 13:21:20 PST 2003

XEP users and developers:

I have been working with a copy of 2.78 for an
academic client.  I am running RedHat 7.2 (2.4.3) on a
dual proc PII 800 MHz with 768 Megs of ECC RAM.  The
JVM:
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.3.0)
Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build
cx130-20010626 (JIT enabled: jitc))

Note: I am not validating the XSL-FO. I find that
rendering is on the slow side.  For example, I am
rendering a page that has nested tables (1 level deep)
and one graphic (seems to have little to no effect
when removed) which takes about 5 seconds to render.
If I take the nested table out, I get an increase of
almost 2 seconds.  I know performance is a common
complaint with today's XSL-FO rendering engines.  I am
willing to live with it to some degree, but crave a
bit more speed.  I have searched and have been unable
to find any claims about the speed of versions 3 and
greater.  Is it better?  Will future versions address
speed?  If so, how soon?  Please point me to any
information on this matter.  Also, I have read on your
support archive site about certain JVMs being faster
than others, but the respondants failed to say which
flavors.  Which JVM performs the best?

I have a client with deep pockets who is considering
moving to XSL-FO with its next generation of ASP
solutions.  I need to have meeting fodder on the topic
of performance.  Deep pockets also means they may be
willing to spend a bit on better servers than my
academic client.  So I may be able to muscle through
it for now.  Also note, this client will be dealing
with larger, more complex documents.

Thank you for any thoughts on the matter.
-Jarrod Stenberg
P.S.  Great product overall!  I think XEP has made
XSL-FO viable in the present.