[xep-support]Using several alignment methods in one fo:block-container simultaneously.

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed Feb 26 12:51:53 PST 2003

Hi Irina,

> I use XEP. The task is to place several text blocks
> in a single line at the Footer of each page.
> E.g.: <Date> - in the left-hand corner, <Page number>
> - in the center, <Custom Text> - in the right-hand corner.
> The order in which this data is to be displayed on the page
> is not predefined, since the client wishes to change the data
> alignment and to affect its appearance in general.
> For instance, <Page number> may be aligned to the left,
> and <Date> may not be displayed at all.
>
> Could you tell me how it can be done?

I'd rather use absolutely positioned block containers.
More or less like this:

<fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
  <fo:block-container position="fixed"
             left="1in" right="1in" bottom="0in" height="1in">
       <fo:block text-align="start">02/25/2003<fo:block>
  </fo:block-container>

  <fo:block-container position="fixed"
             left="1in" right="1in" bottom="0in" height="1in">
       <fo:block text-align="center">Page <fo:page-number /><fo:block>
  </fo:block-container>

  <fo:block-container position="fixed"
             left="1in" right="1in" bottom="0in" height="1in">
       <fo:block text-align="end">Custom Text<fo:block>
  </fo:block-container>
</fo:static-content>

These are three superimposed block containers, placed at the bottom of the
page.
Each specifies its own text alignment inside, using normal 'text-align'
property
on the inner blocks.

> I tried using the <fo:block-container> tag. However, its
> 'writing-mode' attribute has no 'center' value.

"Writing-mode" specifies text flow rules, not block alignment :-).

> Besides, each <fo:block-container is displayed on a new line.

Fo:block-container is a block element. How it can be otherwise?

> Example code:
> <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">

You said you wanted them in the footer; why "region-before"?

> <fo:block-container relative-position="relative"  writing-mode="lr">

Relative-position is not supported in XEP. In any case, it is not going
to achieve the desired effect.

> (Relex Inc, Voronezh)

Privet Voronezhu :-).

Best regards,