[xep-support] JPG compression?

Clay Leeds cleeds at medata.com
Mon Feb 24 13:07:54 PST 2003

Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
> JPEG is generally not the best format for line art containing
> sharp edges - it tends to create transition effects ("JPEG artifacts").
> Edge fuzziness is inherent for the type of compression used in JPEG;
> there's nothing to do. You may consider other, non-lossy formats
> instead. For example, PNG is equally efficient with XEP: unless
> there are some special features like gamma, interlacing, or alpha channel,
> the data are copied transparently from the input file to the resulting
> PDF, generating no overhead even for big images.
>
> Best regards,
> Nikolai Grigoriev
> RenderX

I had some problems with "fuzziness" with my JPG images. Then I realized
that I was printing at +300dpi, and the JPG had a 72dpi resolution. I
changed my JPG to 300dpi, and much of the fuzziness went away. That
said, TIFF or PNG might improve the clarity, although SVG might be even
better (I think SVG is supported by XEP?).
Clay Leeds - cleeds at medata.com