[xep-support] no space for an element

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Fri Feb 21 01:37:29 PST 2003

Hi Els,

> When formatting an .fo document I get several
> of the following warnings:
> "{?no space for an element, trying to recover}"
> I guess it has to do with "keep-with-next" (within-page)
> attributes or something like it, but I can't find the error.
> Do you have any clue how to prevent this?

Such a message is issued when constraints cannot be
satisfied within the current page master - e.g. when
a chain of elements linked with keep-with-next is
longer that the length of the page, or a graphic is larger
than the space available, etc. XEP tries to recover
relaxing constraints; don't blame it if it fails to guess
your intents in some cases :-).

As a general rule, leaving this kind of warnings cannot
be recommended. Ideally, you should revise your
stylesheets and make constraint set more easy to satisfy.
This would undoubtedly improve robustness and make
formatting results more predictable.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev