[xep-support] Restriction in item 2 of section 1.4 of XEP spec

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Sat Feb 8 09:47:43 PST 2003

Hi Werner,

> At the moment I see no other way to center a block with an explicit
> width and which is stacked in another block then to generate
> expressions such as:
>    margin-left="50% - <width> div 2 - <padding-left>"

As a workaround, you can use a borderless table:

<fo:table table-layout="fixed" table-width="100%">
  <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
  <fo:table-column column-width="...put...your...width...here..."/>
  <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
  <fo:table-body>
    <fo:table-cell column-number="2">
      <fo:block>Your content here</fo:block>
    </fo:table-cell>
  </fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

This is 100% compliant FO.

> Therefore, I wonder when the afore-mentioned restriction on expressions
> will be lifted.

Not very soon. As you probably guessed, the current state of expressions
comprises all those that can be calculated _on the source tree_. To extend
expressions further, one should postpone their computation until the width
of the containing area is known. This is hard to combine with acceptable
performance.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX