[xep-support] break between floats

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Thu Dec 18 07:19:56 PST 2003

Hello Oliver,

Floats have anchors. Those anchors are empty (produce no visible
areas) thus when there is no other content between them formatter
can't divide them between pages. In order to achieve desired behavior
you have to add some blocks between floats as you already found out.
Something as <fo:block line-height="0pt">&#xA0;</fo:block> or
<fo:block line-height="0pt"><fo:leader/></fo:block> will do the trick
(this could be easily done at XSLT chunking step).

I agree that the whole thing looks like a hack, but you have no choice
- as I already mentioned before, the required layout has already led
us in uncertain and obscure area of XSL FO specification :-)

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com
RenderX