[xep-support] Table positioning

Alexander Peshkov peshkov at renderx.com
Mon Dec 15 01:04:54 PST 2003

Hello Brian,

CBD> Ah, didn't know about span="all".  That works nicely, but it brings up
CBD> another question.  If the table spans both columns and is centered in the
CBD> page vertically, then the the flow of text is this (wraps to the next column
CBD> before the table instead of at the bottom of the page):

<-- ASCII art skipped :-) -->

CBD> But we would prefer, if possible, that the text flow in this order (down the
CBD> whole page before wrapping to the next column):

<-- ASCII art skipped :-) -->

In the XSL FO 1.0 you can not control flow of content in this way.

CBD> We've also used span="all" on large images also, and we noticed that if
CBD> there is not enough room at the bottom of the page, then the image is shown
CBD> on the next page, which is fine, but it leaves a lot of white space on the

Hm, I believe this is a normal situation. In this case there is just
no content to be placed on the previous page. What is your expectation
for formatter behavior in such a situation?

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov                             mailto:peshkov at renderx.com