[xep-support] XEP 2.77: Space resolution in list-item-body

Werner Donné werner.donne at re.be
Wed Oct 2 07:54:34 PDT 2002

David,

The effect I want to achieve is that all list item bodies after the first list item
are not shifted. This can be simply done by dropping the space-before,
because it is not needed anyway (it is a result of some conversion tool I'm
working on). I could also set the same space-before on the label in order to
align them properly.

But I'm also trying to understand why there is a different for the first list item.
My remark about the line-area is indeed wrong. That leaves two reason to discard
the space-before in this particular case.

1) A reference-area could have been started. In the ammended example I have
attached here it is made sure that the list-block does not start a reference area
by putting a block before it. This is how the example should have been in the
first place.

2) The spaces could collapse with others. It seems that the space-before of the
first list item body collapses with the space-after of the first block of the
example. But then why doesn't the space-before of the second list item body
block collapse with space-after of the preceding one?

Maybe none of the list items should collapse, because each item has two blocks
in the inline progessing direction, the first of which has no space-before or
space-after at all. Then again, both blocks may be first aligned and then both
their block progressing spaces taken into account for space resolution.

What is correct according to the specification?

Werner.

--
Werner Donné  --  Re BVBA
Engelbeekstraat 8