[xep-support] XEP 2.77: white-space-collapse

Werner Donné werner.donne at re.be
Wed Oct 2 03:08:52 PDT 2002

Hi,

I would like to address the issue of runs of two or more consecutive spaces.
The spec is not very clear about what should happen if such runs are produced
by sibling areas in a line-area. It says the treatment is done "during area tree
construction, after refinement".

In the attached example the fo:inline element surrounding the word
"space-collapse" starts with a space and is also preceded by one. One would
expect that both spaces are collapsed into one. This would imply a recursive
treatment. However, in my opinion it is nowhere written that it must be done
like that, nor is it forbidden.

Since XEP doesn't collapse the spaces, I wonder what the rationale of that is.

This issue has already been raised without much success in:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2001OctDec/0042.html

Regards,

Werner.
--