[xep-support] Forcing an "empty" block to render

David Tolpin dvd at renderx.com
Wed Nov 13 20:32:29 PST 2002

> > Another natural candidate is <fo:leader/>.
>
> I know I can do it with a leader, but it bugs me to have to use a leader
> when an empty block with a border will get the same effect with less markup.

fo:leader INSIDE the empty block.

> Also, there are other uses for empty blocks, such as the column
> balancing trick.

The column balanced trick works with empty blocks just fine without
anything additional. The only thing that does not happen is that
a border is not generated around a block area with no child area regardless
of whether it is integral or split into several pages.

David