[xep-support] Configuring Asian Fonts How-To

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Sat Nov 9 20:21:10 PST 2002

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
> Gustaf Liljegren wrote:
>
>> Eliot wrote:
>>

>>> I am trying to configure XEP under Windows to render Asian languages
>>> (Japanes and Simplified Chinese to start with) and I'm not having
>>> much luck, but largely because I have no idea what I should be doing.
>>

>> What you should be doing is to copy your CIDFont directory to /afm. You
>> normally find it in your Acrobat directory (also Acrobat Reader, if you
>> choosed to install CJK fonts). Then just call the fonts in 'font-family'
>> using the names or aliases specified in fonts.xml.
>

> I was able to make this work for Simplified Chinese (haven't tried for
> Japanese yet, but I'm sure it will work). Using the fonts with the
> latest Adobe CJK font packs for Windows

I was also able to use the Windows SimHei font (which I think is part of
the Windows regional support for Simplified Chinese):

          ttf="c:\winnt\fonts\SimHei.ttf"
          embed="true">

These two fonts produce slightly different effects in PDF--the Adobe
font uses a lighter stroke weight, so it's harder to read (lighter) but
probably more aesthetically pleasing (not that I know anything about the
aesthetics of ideographic scripts).

The SimHei font is what XSL Formatter uses as its default font for
Simplified Chinese (zh-CN).

Cheers,

E.
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com