[xep-support] Make Implementation of inherited start-indent optional?

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Fri Nov 8 06:52:55 PST 2002

While I agree with the assessment that inheritance of start-indent from
reference areas to contained blocks is a bug in the FO spec, since other
processors do implement it, it would be helpful if XEP made the
inheritance of this property optional--I think this is one place were
you will get really dramatically different results from XEP and XSL
Formatter for a complete and conforming FO document.

That is, I think that if you're going to implement a serious
non-conformant behavior, that you should also provide the option of
using the conformant behavior, even if it's nonsensical.

In a sense, XEP's behavior is a form of extension which, like any other
extension, you should be able to choose to use or not.

For example, I could see you adding an rx:inherit-indent="true|false"
attribute, for use on fo:root, likewise, the implemenation of non-zero
border and padding on page regions should be controllable.

Cheers,

E.
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com
Consultant, ISOGEN International