[xep-support] Strange Behavior For Start-Before with fo:list

W. Eliot Kimber eliot at isogen.com
Thu Nov 7 12:41:29 PST 2002

David Tolpin wrote:
>>If I understand the meaning of "fence before", it means that the space
>>before for the initial blocks within a list item should have conditional
>

> list-items are not reference-areas. They do not impose a condition
> that causes suppression of space-before/space-after. The fence means
> that adjacent space-before/space-after do not interact with each other.

You seem to be correct--if your interpretation of "fence" is correct,
then I have to agree with your implementation. However, if "fence" also
implies the same behavior *as if* the fence was the edge of a reference
area, then I would not agree. But I can't find anything that defines the
meaning of fence in any other way than as you have interpreted it--it
doesn't appear to be a completely well-defined notion in the FO spec,
only being defined in the context of explaining the block stacking rules.

Hmph.

Cheers,

E.
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot at isogen.com