[xep-support] psLib problem Application hanging

Zoran Stiver zoranstiver at iespana.es
Tue Mar 12 09:19:07 PST 2002

Hi,

problem:
I have an application that I wrote some time ago that uses the post script sax handler, H4PS it think.  Periodically, and what would seem randomly, it stops.
My logging code shows without doubt that the line which causes the problem is the following one.

exist=ps.put_image(imgname,type);

background info:
  a.. The xep files may be quite large, a number megabytes - a concatenation of several smaller ones.
  b.. Note that the image being rendered always exits.
  c.. It may stop on one image at one time and yet at another there is no problem with the same image.
  d.. It does seem to happen on certain machines more than others.
  e.. On the installation where the problem is most pronounced the JVM is 1.3.1, the OS is NT4sp6a.

solutions:
Is there a simple solution to the problem, is it known?  The application runs on xep 2.21

Are any of the following available
  a.. It there a more reliable psLib implementation?
  b.. Is there away to shut down the psLib after a timeout so I can automat a job restart?
Sincerely

Zoran.