[xep-support] XEP vs FOP

David Tolpin dvd at renderx.com
Fri Jun 28 22:35:24 PDT 2002

> Hi,
> I've downloaded the XEP eval, and I ran some basic performance tests on
> medium sized .fo documents(2-10MB) with it and also on FOP, and it looks
> like FOP, despite having known performance and memory usage issues, it still
> far outperforms XEP. Is this simply the way it is or is there some
> settings/tuning I can do to improve XEP's performance?
> Thanks
> Nic Karlsson

Nic,

First, if you are using a recent version of Xerces then turn validation
off to assess performance. Xerces newer than 1.0.0 is a memory hog
in respect to DTD validation.

java -Dcom.renderx.FO2PDF.Parser.VALIDATE=false

Then, in my opinion performances should be compared on real life examples.
A real life example is XSL FO specification, the .fo for which is available
both from www.renderx.com and from the www.w3.org.

David Tolpin