[xep-support] Characters not appearing

Wendell Piez wapiez at mulberrytech.com
Fri Jul 5 11:51:18 PDT 2002

Nikolai,

Wow, this is great, nice stuff!

In one of my files the characters all appear via general entities, so I can
redefine them to include the wrapper tagging. But I have at least one other
for which your code may be very useful, and since I like where it is in the
pipeline (at the end), I might just use it for all of them.

So far I have seen no problem with the default serif font (the Times) I'm
using as a body font. Do you think the Lucida is safer in general?

Thanks!
Wendell

>Yes, current XEP design requires that you switch the font. However, for the
>particular case of isolated math symbols scattered throughout the regular
>text, the problem can be efficiently solved by XSLT means. Attached
>is a sample preprocessor stylesheet that wraps each character from
>the AdobeSymbol charset into an inline with an appropriate font.
>You can extend it, adding more fonts to process other special
>characters.
>
>Comments:
>
>1. The stylesheet shall be applied to ready FO documents, before they are
>fed to XEP. No manual markup is needed at the source.
>
>2. Only text nodes inside fo:page-sequences are selected
>for processing. This is done to preserve eventual bookmarks
>(stored in rx:outline that is a sibling of fo:page-sequences):
>bookmarks are plain text, and don't need font switching.
>
>3. DeepX people took this approach when doing proceedings
>for the last edition of XML Europe. They used Lucida Sans Unicode
>for math.

     "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
      the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
      extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau