[xep-support] Java out of memory error

Nikolai Grigoriev grigoriev at comtv.ru
Wed Feb 6 14:24:32 PST 2002

Danny,

> Didn't even know about this option - it even has its own -X flag to get
> help for it! Anyway I had thought that it was strange that while I watched
> the Task Manager memory usage that I never got a spike in usage that would
> correspond to the process failing. I had just added a GB of RAM to my
> machine, so I used -Xmx900MB and -Xms900MB and it now runs just fine. Now
> when Java takes off it uses almost all the memory that is available shown
> in the Memory usage window.

:-))). By default, -Xmx is set to 64MB; you were at 1/15 of your memory
potential. Indeed, I wondered why only small pieces were formattable.
The PDF version of the W3C XSL spec is 416 pages long and contains
200+ tables (the longest span about 10 pages) and 40+ hi-res images;
yet I had no problems formatting it in -Xmx160MB...

> - you use the latest stable JDK release (1.3.1) and HotSpot is turned on;
>
> Was using 1.3.0 don't see how to turn on Hotspot

Don't worry: it's on by default unless you did care to disable it. Just type

      java  -version

and if it reports HotSpot VM, you're OK.

Regards,

Nikolai