[xep-support] PostScript Output

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Wed Aug 21 06:07:36 PDT 2002

Hi Alex,

>        We  - Flexemessaging, Sydney Australia - have built
> a PostScript parser as part of our system. Prior to our purchase
> of XEP we were using the apache FOP component for
> our PostScript production, and our parsing is in part reliant
> on the production of lines like %%BeginPageSetup, which are
> present in the output from FOP, but not, as far as I can tell, in the
> output from XEP.

You are right: we don't produce %%BeginPageSetup comment.
By DSC specification, %%BeginPageSetup section is always
located after %%Page, and need not be present if there is
no modification in the graphic state; GhostScript issues no
DSC compatibility warnings about our code.

I admit however that we do modify the graphic state:
a setpagedevice operator is issued at the beginning
of each page, and for strict DSC compatibility
it could be enclosed in %%BeginPageSetup / %%EndPageSetup.

> Is there any option to produce these lines or alter
> the PostScript output from XEP?

Surely. I will contact you off-list, and send you a patch for this.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev