[xep-support] Does XEP support right-to-left text?

Nikolai Grigoriev grig at renderx.com
Fri Aug 2 15:22:11 PDT 2002

Dear Mete Kural,

> Does XEP output right-to-left languages such as Arabic
> or Farsi (Persian) in PDF? I noticed that it says in
> the specs that "writing-mode" attribute is not
> implemented. Is there another way to print
> right-to-left text in XEP?

The current version of XEP supports only Western writing mode -
left-to-right, top-to-bottom. I am not aware of any method to achieve
right-to-left writing in XEP (unless you transpose characters on each
string individually - but this is really hard to achieve).

The next version of XEP will have support for right-to-left writing
mode and bidirectionality. Please follow the announcements.

Best regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev